Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Friendships are from the Lord.

"Whoever finds a friend finds a treasure."
~an italian proverb~


As I was thinking of a title for this post, I couldn't help but think of Michael W. Smith's song, Friends. I'd like you to listen to it while you're reading this post (if you can multi-task). :)


I made so many new friends at Summer Missionary Training school in Virginia, that at the end of the week, when it was time to leave, I felt like crying because I know I'll never see some of those people again (until we get to Heaven, that is). 
It was a bittersweet feeling.
It's something that I've never really experienced before.
I feel like I've lost something very valuable, even though I haven't lost anything! 
In fact, I've gained some awesome new friends!
Yes, I can stay in contact with many of my new friends through Facebook (thank goodness for Social Networking), but it's just not the same as Face-to-face! 
Going back to that quote at the beginning of this post, "Whoever finds a friend finds a treasure," if that's true, then I have for sure found an awesome treasure in my new friends. :)

Anyway, they (my new friends) have challenged and changed me. I really don't think I am the same person I was two weeks ago. 
This past week, I learned what it's like to TRULY love people with God's love, not mine. I mean, I've really struggled with that for a long time...It's not the easiest thing to do, and I'm definitely not the easiest person to change. :) There are still some people that I have a hard time loving, but God is slowly changing my heart. It's the weirdest thing...Okay, so weird isn't the right word, but I'm sure that you know what I mean. 


I was so wrapped up in myself, like, how I could be satisfied, what people could give to me, etc., that I didn't realize that all the attention I was giving to ME should have been going to God. 
Does that make sense? 
In other words, God wasn't my focus. 
I went to training camp with the hopes of making new friends, and yeah, I would learn how to teach Bible lessons and Good News Clubs. Because that's always a good skill to have, you know.


But one night in our evening devotions, I was challenged to make God my "boyfriend." (the leader didn't use those words exactly, but that's what was meant). Like, instead of searching for fulfillment in other people, I'm going to give my all to Jesus, and make Him the center of my life.


Which is easier said than done, I've found that out already...But it's all good. I know that God is with me and His timing is best. :)


Which brings me to this: I KNOW without one teeny tiny bit of doubt, that I was supposed to be a Summer Missionary this year and that it's God's plan for my summer.
That has been proven to me over and over in the last month and a half. I didn't know how I would raise the support I needed ($1,500.00), but God provided, and it all came in less than a month!
Then I was all stressed out about my other job at another camp (which ended up not working out anyway). 
Then, just last night, I had the privilege of leading two sisters to the Lord. 
Yeah, you bet I did a happy dance!!!


I really think that God wanted me in CYIA (Christian Youth In Action) this year, and I'm so glad that He chose to put me there! Not only because I've made new friends, but because I'm starting to really listen to what He has to say, and I'm slowly making changes in my life to reflect HIM more. 


And as you think about me throughout this Summer, say a prayer as I'll be working with children through CEF's (Child Evangelism Fellowship) 5-day-club programs. 

Pray for each child that comes to our clubs. 
We want seeds to be planted and watered.
Just keep me and my summer missionary partner, Brittany, in your prayers, please and thank you!

~Valerie








PS. I feel like a jerk for not posting any photos with this, but I'm having trouble with our internet and uploading photos today. Sorry about that! Check back later this week, and I may have some photos posted by then. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your lovely comments make my day! :)